now that survival
top box
Getting Around Fun Or Not? Money Matters Marriage & Partnerships Crimes & Consequences Civil Law & Lawsuits Consumer Protection Finding Legal Help
Working and Taxes

Will I be offered a written contract with a job?
You will probably not be offered a written employment contract. Most employment contracts are oral. However, if you are offered a written contract you should read it carefully and make sure you understand all of its provisions before you sign the contract.

1040Is there any guarantee that I can keep my job if I work hard and do my best?
Unfortunately there is no such guarantee. Generally in Nevada, an employer can fire an employee without providing a reason. This is because Nevada is an “at-will” employment state. Generally, an “at-will” employment contract can be terminated by the employer whenever and for whatever reason.

However, there are some exceptions. An employer may not fire or discriminate against someone based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or national origin.

Do I need a social security number to get employment?
Yes, unless you are ineligible for a Social Security number. In that case, you would need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). An example of an individual that may need an ITIN is a U.S. resident who is not a citizen.

Your employer is required to report your wages to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS is the agency that collects federal taxes from taxpayers. The IRS uses your Social Security number or ITIN to process your federal tax payment. If you need additional information you should check with your local Social Security office, go to, or call 1-800-772-1213.

What is sexual harassment?
Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances including unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that interferes with an employee’s work performance or creates an intimidating or hostile work environment.

What can I do if I experience discrimination or harassment in the workplace?
If you feel that you are being unlawfully discriminated against or harassed on the job, you should contact the Nevada Equal Rights Commission (NERC) to file a formal complaint. NERC investigates and attempts to resolve allegations of unlawful discrimination in employment. NERC can be reached at 775-688-1288 or on the web at

What is FICA?
The Federal Insurance Contributions Act (F.I.C.A.) is commonly referred to as Social Security. It is a payroll tax that provides retirement, disability and death benefits to workers. Your employer pays half of the premium and you pay the other half.

What is workers’ compensation insurance?
Workers’ compensation insurance is paid for by employers and provides compensation and medical benefits to workers who are injured on the job. By law, employers must carry workers’ compensation insurance.

Workers’ Compensation insurance is also intended to help workers who develop occupational diseases caused by their jobs.

Will I get back any of the tax that I pay?
You (or your accountant) must complete an income tax return each year and mail it to the Internal Revenue Service no later than April 15. If it turns out that you paid too much tax for your level of income, you may be entitled to a refund. 26 U.S.C. §6513. If it turns out that you did not pay enough, you will be required to pay the difference to the IRS. Therefore, it is important that when you begin employment you fill out the appropriate paperwork so that enough tax is being deducted from your paycheck.

What is the Minimum Wage?
In Nevada, the basic minimum wage rate is $5.15 per hour (as of May, 2006).

This guide is an introduction to narrow topics of Nevada law. Keep in mind that federal, state and local laws are constantly subject to change. If you have a legal question or problem, you should consult an attorney.